Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Retired Topics > General Forums > Rescue - Forum Closed

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 AM

Three Angels Farm in TN Wreck on I-40

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/16...rturns-on-i-40

Never heard of Three Angels Farm in Lebannon TN; sounds like a horse rescue but I am hearing differently. 38 horses in this trailer; supposedly headed to a ranch in TX for holding prior to shipment to Mexico. Anyone know of this rescue or is this really a kill buyer? May be an opportunity for rescue of the horses being held at the Dixon TN stockyard.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Am wondering if this was an illegal- for- horses- double- decker trailer or can you possibly cram that many horses into a regular semi-trailer? Anyone know? If double decker I would imagine 3 angels farm will be in a heap of trouble.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM

Here is what I have been able to find so far;
According to DOT records Three Angels Farms is located at 151 Mill Road, Lebanon, TN.
Listed owner: Edwin Ayache. They are not listed as a rescue nor do they have 501.3 status.
Mentioned in an Animals Angels investigation to have attended the Mayfield, KY auction.
It is a 2006 Freightliner tractor trailer.
they did not start to unload the horses for several hours after . could more have been saved if unloaded immediately????? certainly did not do them any good and had to be horrifying to be trapped so cramped and on their sides like that.
kill business in Lebanon named Lil' Tex--------wonder if that is his place--.
According to channel 4, the horses were indeed headed to slaughter before the accident
The horses that survived were taken to the livestock barn in Dickson.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM

I did some on-line research today. According to reports, the horses were taken to Dickson Livestock facility, an auction barn about 10 miles from the accident. Apparently the owner then sent another truck to load the horses up during the night and continue them on their journey. I had thought of stopping on my way home from work, since I go right by there, but they are already gone.

The trailer was a single decker and the driver had all the proper credentials for the horses. A vet from one of the best equine vet hospitals in Middle Tennessee was part of the emergency response team. The vet stated that the horses were being hauled humanely. He also stated that the horses seemed calm when he arrived at the scene, some standing and some still on their sides. A corral was set up around the truck before the horses were unloaded, to be sure none escaped. All horses were vet checked at the Dickson facility before being released to the owner.

The horses were sold to a broker out west, not going to Mexico. The current owner doesn't know what the brokers plans are for the horses. They could be going to rodeos, to be resold as riding horses, or whatever.

Last edited by Blue Lady : 01-17-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM

thank you Blue.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 PM

I think the trailer looked like this one; could have even been the SAME one that was at the Fairview KY horse sale on November 19, 2011. I KNOW there was a buyer there from TN and has been there before buying up a bunch of the lower-priced ones.

Additionally, I read on the Nashville news today the owner took the horses back "to his farm." But that was evidently not true; they were sent on their way. On one place in the news I read they were going to a "ranch in Oklahoma so they can be re-homed to horse owners." AND I read elsewhere the horses were headed to Texas to a feedlot prior to going to Mexico.

SO it is hard to discern the truth in this situation. But I think we all have an idea......and even the TV stations reported the horses were headed to slaughter. Just thought it may be an opportunity for some horses to be rescued like what has happened in previous horse wrecks, like the one in Missouri several months ago.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 PM

Some News Reports

From WKRN: ...."Over the phone Tuesday, owner Dorian Ayache told Nashville's News 2 media reports that the horses were being transported to a slaughterhouse in Texas are untrue.

[B]He said the horses were on their way to a range in Oklahoma where they were to be prepped to be sold to horse owners.

Ayache said the horses are dirty but in good health. He said they are back on his farm, located at 151 Mill Road in Lebanon, but he refused to grant News 2 access to the property.

Additionally, Ayache said he and his wife have been in the horse business for 25 years and are devastated by what happened.

He declined an on-camera interview and requested his name be omitted from media reports.[/b]

The Tennessee Department of Agriculture said Tuesday it was first notified of the accident minutes after it was reported, and received a formal request for assistance from the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency a few minutes later.

Spokesperson Casey Mahoney said local veterinarians Dr. Monty McInturff and Dr. Danny Haber responded to the scene and off-loaded the animals with the assistance of state animal health technicians.

The scene was cleared and I-40 reopened around 11 p.m.

In an interview Tuesday, Dr. McInturff told Nashville's News 2 at least 100 people responded to help.

"It was amazing to see everyone calm, the animals calm, everyone appeared to be very organized and worked together as a team," he said. "My concern was to make sure the animals were taken from the scene in a very orderly fashion and I was concerned about their safety and wanted to make sure they were healthy when they were removed from the wreckage."

Dr. McInturff said all of the horses were alive immediately following the crash and they chose to put down three of them due to the severity of their injuries.

"The horses were definitely in shock, had some contusion but the horses that we had to euthanize had severe injures and could not rise," he continued. "I was really surprised to see how calm the horses were. The trailer was on its side and the horses were standing calmly."

He added, "They were definitely asking for assistance and we helped them."

The accident remains under investigation.

The Humane Society of the United States says it has been reported to them that the majority of the horses had green tags, a typical indicator they are bound for slaughter.

Truck driver Reed is expected to face a series of charges."

http://www.wkrn.com/story/16531100/o...-40?hpt=us_bn5

Look at this video; shows an aerial view of "Three Angels Farm." Plus info about the owner being under investigation on TWO situations in TX one being the dumping of the rejected horses; the other lack of proper documentation.

http://www.wmctv.com/story/16531026/...t-of-nashville
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoshowcp View Post
Am wondering if this was an illegal- for- horses- double- decker trailer or can you possibly cram that many horses into a regular semi-trailer? Anyone know? If double decker I would imagine 3 angels farm will be in a heap of trouble.
No this was NOT a double-decker. I checked out the one at Fairview and it is like the one in the wreck. So evidently everything was probably in order. The owner is already under investigation and now he will be in more trouble.

The horses are GONE; probably in TX now.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 AM

I started this thread because I thought the horses may be in a rescue situation, like the horses that were held at the TN State Fairgrounds a couple years ago. So anyway we need to be careful, including myself, to not start flaming so we do not get this thread deleted.
When I heard Three Angels Farm, it sounded like a rescue but I was wrong.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM

Slight correction. If it gets out of hand, we'll close it - not delete the thread. OTOH, flaming individual posts might get deleted along the way.

Sponsored Links