Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Topics > Tack & Equipment Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Gas Efficient Truck?

I am needing to buy a pick up truck for hauling my horse and aluminum 2
horse trailer, and also moving hay and shavings to the barn. Funds only allow for older used vehicle, but have mechanical friends willing to "vet check" it for me. My question for the large Trot audience is... With gas expected to keep going up has anyone ever hauled w/ a smaller pick-up? I'm wondering about the V6 Dakotas, S-10, or Ranger types.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 PM

Pick-ups for Hauling

If you were just planning to haul "stuff" (feed, shavings, etc.) a smaller pick-up would be fine. However, to pull a loaded horse trailer, even an aluminum one, you need a bigger truck with more power. I have a 2-horse aluminum Merhow that weighs about 1600 pounds empty. Add one or two 1,000 pound horses, some equipment, a driver, and a few hilly roads, and it's all my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8 can handle. Admittedly, my truck is a 2002 and probably doesn't have the power a newer similar truck would have, but I don't think there would be that much difference. Additionally, pulling a loaded trailer with a truck smaller than the trailer invites problems with the weight and size of the trailer overpowering the weight and size of the truck in a quick maneuver, such as swerving suddenly. I don't think the savings of a few miles per gallon in gas would overcome the need for power and the safety of you and your horse.

Last edited by Blue Lady : 03-15-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lady View Post
Additionally, pulling a loaded trailer with a truck smaller than the trailer invites problems with the weight and size of the trailer overpowering the weight and size of the truck in a quick maneuver, such as swerving suddenly. I don't think the savings of a few miles per gallon in gas would overcome the need for power and the safety of you and your horse.
And problems with safe braking ability.

"Horses don't care who you are, what you wear, what your hair looks like . . . all they care about is if you love them ĖĖ and when you do, they return it with unconditional love and days of happiness."
<(__~
<| <|

. See that? It's a grain of salt; take with posts as needed.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM

I honestly don't know of any V6 equipped trucks that could safely pull and Stop a fully loaded two horse trailer. These women have given you spot on advice, listen to them. I was going to give the same advice.

See the horse in my Avatar? yup...THAT is a rescue!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Almost any vehicle can TOW a trailer. The thing you need to worry about is can it STOP the trailer? Even with trailer brakes you have to consider the possibility of those failing and needing to stop the load with only the truck.

My 2001 RAM 1500 with the V-8 Magnum can do it, BUT the gas mileage goes down to nothing when it does. If I had the money I'd be buying a larger truck and I wouldn't even think about pulling my horses with anything smaller.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Ok... my bad... I forgot that on here it is never a peer group discussion. If credentials are not bold-typed you get spoken to like a kindergardener in a room of MIT professors. I am 51 years old, I have carried a class B CDL w/ passenger endorsement for the last 12 years which to obtain I had to know more about GVW's and braking systems than probably anyone on here besides Mona knows, my driving abstract is nearly spotless, I have been hauling horses without incident virtually since I received my license at 16, I have done internet homework that suggests that both the toyota tacoma and dodge dakota ( V6 and a V8 models) are manufacture rated to pull and stop well in excess of my trailers loaded weight. Certain models of both trucks come w/ standard tow packages, tranny coolers, and lower gear ratios. I was simply wondering if anyone had ever put a smaller truck to the test, geesh. Will try elsewhere on the internet where the 21st century has dawned and users are not as reliant on trainers for every little thing.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoshowcp View Post
Ok... my bad... I forgot that on here it is never a peer group discussion. If credentials are not bold-typed you get spoken to like a kindergardener in a room of MIT professors. I am 51 years old, I have carried a class B CDL w/ passenger endorsement for the last 12 years which to obtain I had to know more about GVW's and braking systems than probably anyone on here besides Mona knows, my driving abstract is nearly spotless, I have been hauling horses without incident virtually since I received my license at 16, I have done internet homework that suggests that both the toyota tacoma and dodge dakota ( V6 and a V8 models) are manufacture rated to pull and stop well in excess of my trailers loaded weight. Certain models of both trucks come w/ standard tow packages, tranny coolers, and lower gear ratios. I was simply wondering if anyone had ever put a smaller truck to the test, geesh. Will try elsewhere on the internet where the 21st century has dawned and users are not as reliant on trainers for every little thing.
That was a tad snarky! I don't think anyone was trying to insult your credentials! All I read was some practical, honest advice. I think sometimes it is just hard to read tone in forums.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 PM

I didn't realize we needed to post our credentials. However, if you feel I need to give them, I would be more than happy to. now if you want to get into cross drilled and slotted rotors, bigger calipers, GCVWR's we can go play there too. But honestly? There isn't a dang V-6 in hell no matter what tranny cooler you put on it, no matter if you go to a 3.73 gear ratio, no matter if you put Brembo's on it, would I ever load two horses, all their tack into the trailer and myself and all my crap into that truck and go tow up a snow covered incline or decline. Nope.

The advice doesn't change.

It isn't safe. You are putting your life and your horse's life at risk. If you don't beleive me, I would be happy to put you in touch with the owners of Equispirit, whom, also wrote the definitive book on safe horse trailer towing.

PS I am willing to take being labeled a Byatch if it means keeping you and your horses safe. On a scale between byatch label or your life, I'll take the label every day of the week if it means something horrible doesn't happen to you or your Beloveds.

See the horse in my Avatar? yup...THAT is a rescue!

Last edited by Mona129 : 03-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Location: Past the third star on the left and on 'til morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona129 View Post
I didn't realize we needed to post our credentials. However, if you feel I need to give them, I would be more than happy to. now if you want to get into cross drilled and slotted rotors, bigger calipers, GCVWR's we can go play there too. But honestly? There isn't a dang V-6 in hell no matter what tranny cooler you put on it, no matter if you go to a 3.73 gear ratio, no matter if you put Brembo's on it, would I ever load two horses, all their tack into the trailer and myself and all my crap into that truck and go tow up a snow covered incline or decline. Nope.

The advice doesn't change.

It isn't safe. You are putting your life and your horse's life at risk. If you don't beleive me, I would be happy to put you in touch with the owners of Equispirit, whom, also wrote the definitive book on safe horse trailer towing.

PS I am willing to take being labeled a Byatch if it means keeping you and your horses safe. On a scale between byatch label or your life, I'll take the label every day of the week if it means something horrible doesn't happen to you or your Beloveds.
Where is the like button when you need one?

One other thing people haven't mentioned yet... when your horses decide it's an awesome time to play football or dance the tango back there, and your trailer starts rocking side to side and making you swerve out of your lane onto the shoulder or into oncoming traffic, you'll be very VERY glad you have a bigger truck. I hauled a two horse BP with a Ram 1500 and I'll never do it again. I upgraded to the 2500HD Hemi and it made a WORLD of difference in stopping ability on declines and overall control.

Last time I looked at the towing specs on a truck, it didn't include information on how it would handle "shifting cargo."

Last edited by asbridertb : 03-17-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtoshowcp View Post
Now I remember why I never post on trot anymore...and why trot is a mere shadow of its former self...let us not forget that these discussions are here for ALL to see...not just you. They are here for reference in the future and someone might be reading that isn't posting but wanted to know the same thing. Will everyone that reads it have the same impressive credentials and experience as you? I think not.

What if some young person was reading here thinking about buying something to tow with that didn't have a CDL or all that driving experience? Wouldn't they need to know about stopping? Would you want someone...say 18 years old...on the road pulling two horses with a small truck and no experience? I wouldn't...maybe you can do it with your vast knowledge of these things, but I don't think it's a good idea for anyone. That's my OPINION...I gave it to you...take it or leave it but DON'T give me crap because I said it in a way that offended your delicate ego.

If an answer to your post doesn't contain info that's helpful to you then IGNORE it...what's so hard about that? If your post doesn't elicit the info you wanted then nicely ADD some information so we have more to work with...don't get snarky because someone used CAPS.

Sheesh. I'm sure a MOD will be coming down on me for getting snarky back but I really don't care because this is probably my last post here.
Sponsored Links