Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Retired Topics > General Forums > Rescue - Forum Closed

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gaits View Post
"the anti rescue groups and victims"...would those be the pro-slaughter groups and the horses they kill? And what do the REM sleep patterns of Shetland ponies have to do with this subject??

I suspect that until another scale is developed, the current one will continue to be used. And since most people using it generally understand what a "1" or a "5" or any number in-between looks like, there really is no problem...
No where was pro slaughter mentioned. It was never mentioned in the Canterbury decision. Rem sleep patterns were PART of the Minimal Care Standards for Equines presented byi the University of Davis as the new bible. They also quoted the Heneke scale as proof for an evaluation. This was only to point out an additional misuse of a study created for a different purpose.

Anyone can use the Heneke Score. It will not be allowed, however, in any court case. There is a problem with just numbers and no validity. They mean nothing. Therefore courts can not accept them.

I can always accuse a person of stupidity however that would need to be verified by an IQ scale which has been proven "as a guideline" and then would have to factor in other conditions. Therefore it is easier to just think someone stupid, than come right out and say it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Holy Jesus. Really? Really? Didn't we learn our lesson from having half of Trot disappear? The horse is too damn thin. Period. I'm so sick of wading through the B.S. on this board to get to the meat & potatoes. People who post just to look/sound important. People who like the "sound of their own voice". Henneke Schmenneke. Whether it was developed for breeding quarter horses or hippos, a score of 1 or a 2 is still emaciated: Ribs projected and prominent, tail head projected, bone structure noticable throughout. Does is matter WHAT breed that is? We care about starving horses, period. We care about trying to save the lives that we can. The only stats we need to know are how much time a horse has and how much cash we need to raise to save it. Please stop this madness!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM

http://habitatforhorses.org/rescues/bodyscoring.html

Using the parameters discussed in the attached link and palpating the horse (which I did on Sunday-myself), he is a 2.

Since Dr. Henneke was not involved with the palpation and you sent him a picture, I find it incredible he could score the horse without *palpating* him a requirement according to him.

and btw, I removed any reference to his scale-perhaps someone with an eye for detail and observation picked up on that ... or not.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Some Mod directives:

1 - please take the Henneke discussion private. Any more by anyone will be deleted.
2 - please resize the photos on this thread or provide links. The broker horses seem to have links on AC4H, so there is no need for FB. For those folks who do not have FB, they can request the photos. You have until 3/14/12 at 2 pm (Eastern time). Photo resizing is discussed on the Testing Forums.

As a request, for the sake of dial up folks (and satellite, which is often used in remote areas and is just as slow as dial up), when you quote a post that has a picture in it, please remove the picture from your quote.

Thank you.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:30 PM

What part of "please take the Henneke discussion private. Any more will be deleted.," do some not understand?

Ongoing posts will be deleted on the subject.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM

Both horses sure do look thrilled to have an endless "buffet" in front of them!!!!
So glad to see them looking alert, happy, and rested.
Two more lives saved. Thank you Hilarie and SRF for making it happen!!! I do hope SRF will keep us posted on their progress. They are both beautiful and will be spectacular when they are completely healthy!
Well done...
Sponsored Links