Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Topics > Grooming

Old 03-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Tail Switches

I have seen it done many times and even have helped in the process but how do you tie in a tail switch?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM

THIS IS A LOADED QUESTION, EVERYONE HAS 'THIER' way that works best for them. i hold up the switch and figure out how long i want it to be. Then part the hair around the tail bone and have someone hold the top part of hair and with their other hand hold the end of the tail bone. Then with friction tape (or electrical) wrap the tape around the bone where the top of the switxh is going. Now on your last 3 or 4 wraps wind the tape in a straight line and so it is making like a ridge or shelf for the top part of the switch to sit,
Once you have done that take the shoe lace thats attached to the top of the switch and position it on top of the ridge you just made with the tape, Tie it rather snuggly a couple times around with the lace. Then smooth the top hair over the top of switch.
CAUTIONS:
1- IF YOU ARE USING ELECTRICAL TAPE BE CARE FULL NOT TO CUT THE CIRCULATION OFF IT STRETCHS FRICTION TAPE DOES NOT STRETCH.
2- MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ALL THE LACE AND TAPE AFTER YOUR CLASS. YOU DONT WANT TO LEAVE IT IN A LONG TIME YOU WILL CUT THE CIRCULATION OFF AND BE IN BIG TROUBLE. SO CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK THAT IT IS ALL OFF CHECK AGAIN BEFORE YOU LOAD YOUR HORSE TO LEAVE OR AT NIGHT WHEN YOU GO BACK TO YOUR HOTEL.
HOPE I EXPLAINED IT SO YOU UNDERSTAND.

LORI
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 AM

I don't use tape. You need two people, one person parts the hair in an even circle 2-3" above the end of the tail bone and holds the parts open. Second person places switch (then first person holds switch and end of tail with their lower hand) and second person ties the switch, cross the strings once in back and then tie them in the front, snugly. Only tied once so it only takes 1 snip to remove the stings, and (knock on wood) I've never had a switch come out Oh and switch goes in just before the bridle goes on and comes off once the horse is unbridled and tied up, even before the saddle.

Last edited by Renae : 03-17-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:46 AM

The friction tape method is one way. Another way is to figure out where you want the switch to hang and then on either side of the tail bone (maybe about 4 to 6 inches up from the end) braid two short (maybe six-inch lengths of hair with a shoe string and tie the switch to the braids on each side of the tail bone. You can put it on early and leave it on after the class because nothing is tied around the tail bone. On a windy day, it might separate, but if the horse carries his tail pretty steady (no swishing), it works fine and is easy. The two braids can stay in until after the show. You can adjust the length of the switch some by picking where on the braid you want to run the string from the switch.

This is not the only way, but it's pretty easy and very secure.

If you use a brace, most people tie the switch to the brace.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:52 PM

My method is something of a combination of Sienna Sunrise's & Sit's: Put the friction tape on snug but not tight; wrap the switch around the tape & tie -- again, snug, but not tight; braid the ends of the shoestring into a short braid of hair from the underside of the tail. This is very secure, but you still must remember to remove the switch as soon as possible. BTW, don't EVER cut the ties on the switch -- you will play getting it back together.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 PM

So, what is the best way to tie a switch to the brace itself? I know everyone does it different, but what are some ways?

Jana
Cres-Or-Lar Stable
Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 AM

When I tie a switch to the brace i put the brace in and then the the switch near the base of the brace, just beneath the pin, so it is not making the top of the brace heavier.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jrchloe
Would this be a good way to put in one of our switchs?
http://www.theshowpen.com/Instructions_WrapAround.html
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM

For unbraced tails, this would be a very good way to do it. The only thing I would caution on is that this method is used alot in Qtr Horses and when they show they aren't moving fast nor does the tail touch the ground. With our breed, we want the longer flowing tail and there is always the risk of the horse stepping on the switch and pulling it out (if it really gets stepped on nothing will keep it in !!). A combination of both taping and braiding would give you added security. PLEASE use caution with the tape however. You are fine as long as you use diligence and remove the switch and tape right after the class.

If you use the switch with a brace, just determine where you want the switch to lie (is the length what you want?) and loop each end of the string through the brace and tie each end to itself. If you have a very full switch which ahs some weigh to it youjust need to make sure it is secure. I have a long switch that isn't very full that I attach to the top of the brace so that I don't have as much tail on the ground and it works great.
Sponsored Links