Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Topics > Grooming

Old 05-15-2008, 01:45 PM

How to braid ribbons in mane

Hi all! Was wondering if somebody could give some online instruction on how to braid the ribbons into your horses mane? Is it better to pre-braid your ribbon then tie it in, or to braid into the mane? Any advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated!
I'm a champ at hunter braids, but the ribbon is new to me!
Thanks,
Lauren
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM

Are you talking a single 'accent' braid at the end of the bridlepath (beginning of the mane), that we do when showing Saddle Seat?

IMO - do not pre-braid.

We take a very small chunk of hair; just like a pinch of it; divide it into 3 pieces; take your three pieces of ribbon, put it up to the base of the mane (as in base of the hair), with a good 3-4" of it sticking up passed the base. One piece of ribbon to one section of hair.

Have the person holding the horse hold the ribbons really tight and right at the base of the mane. (I'm usually the holder, and I grab the ribbons between the tips my thumb and index finger; and kinda push the tip of my index finger into the base of the mane right where the hair comes out; so the braid stays nice and tight to the base)

Kinda fold the ribbon in half around it's section of hair, shiny side out. and braid. the braid should end up being tight and neat, so think about pulling real tight and close when your braiding (thus why the holder has to hold on tight, otherwise you'll pull the ribbon down the hair!!)

Braid till the ribbon is about the same length as the mane; maybe a little bit longer.

Once done braiding, take one end of the excess ribbon (make sure you cut yourself 3 very long pieces of ribbon, to make sure you have enough; especially for your first few tries); preferably a piece that is kinda 'behind' the other two; wrap it around the braid, then bring it up and then down through the 'wrap' (I hope that made sense LOL)' pull tight; this will tie off the end.

Do the same to tie off the top.

Then, take your scissors, fold each end of the ribbon in half, and cut on a diagonal so you end up with a "V" (an 'open' "V" with TWO tips, not an arrow, with one ) The end should be about an inch or two long. "V" all three ribbon ends at both the top and bottom.

And you're done
Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 PM

Wetting your ribbon makes for tighter braid...make sure you put the shiney side of the ribbon out...have fun!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed! All made good sense except for the tying off part, but will probably understand when I try to do it!
Does using hairspray or quic-braid for grip help at all?
Thanks again!
Lauren
Old 05-15-2008, 02:48 PM

I don't know anyone who uses any "product" when braiding.

LOL, yea, I wasn't quite sure how to explain the tying off thing. You'll figure it out
Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM

OK, good deal.

For hopefully my last question, is it necessary to get the braiding ribbons out of horse magazines/tack trailers, or can you use the satin (shiny) finish craft ribbon from good ole Wal-Mart?

I cheated at my first couple shows and didn't worry about braiding her, shame on me, but would like to start doing it as it really does polish off the presentation of your horse. Like a lot of the posters I see on here, this is my first saddlebred after a strong background in riding hunters, so I'm still working on perfecting the details of my presentation of both my horse and myself.

Thanks again,
Lauren
Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 PM

I don't really think it matters that much; so long as it's the right type/size (I think the stuff we use it 1" wide)

Also, make sure your horse is showing in a division that allows braids, since not all do.

And, if the horse has a forelock, you need to braid that too. But, if it's a big ol' forelock, you'll have to trim it down to dare near nothing to get it to turn out right (not look horrible)... Or you could just cut it off and not worry about it LOL
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Yeah, forelock is already gone. LOL She's showing show pleasure. The show pleasure horses at the local shows usually have braids, but I'll definitely double-check. Thanks for all the advice!

Edit - Checked the rule book, braids are ok :-)

Last edited by lcunningham : 05-15-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jrchloe
Oh if only I could find pictures to go with the how to.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:56 PM
VLayne

I've found that the ribbon from a craft store doesn't crease as easily or make as nice of a braid. The "real" stuff makes a very crisp braid, and it doesn't fray (as much).

I usually prefer to do my braids a little differently - I take a tiny pinch of hair and wrap one of the ribbons around it, all the way down to the ends of the hair (kind of like wrapping a maypole). Then I braid in the other two without any hair. This ensures you don't have any "flyaways" sticking out of your braid, which are pretty ugly, and if the braid gets ripped out, the horse only loses ONE tiny section of hair instead of three.

And definitely wet the ribbon before braiding. SO much easier and you can get a nice small even braid.

If you don't have a helper, take a polo wrap and wrap it very tightly around the horses' throatlatch. Use a cooler clamp to clamp the ends of the ribbon to the polo wrap while you braid.

Last edited by VLayne : 05-15-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links