Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Retired Topics > General Forums > AOT - Amateur Owner/Trainer Forum

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM

Teaching to park out

Could someone please help me with teaching my yearling to park out? I've gotten him to stand "square", but his hind legs aren't extended out like I see other horses. Do you train him on a hill?

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM

You can stand him up hill and also teach him to lean or come up on his shoulder by baiting him with a carrot or whatever. Always make sure to get the hind feet set properly first, then work toward just tapping him on the shoulder as that will be a good signal when your under saddle. I also tell mine to "stand up".
Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 PM

Stand them square and gently tap the back of their front pastern with a crop using "out" or whatever until they pick up and move that front foot. Then the other one. Reward. Repeat lots of times. It may take approximately a decade before he gets it. It may take 3 days.

My mare was about 6 when she learned. We progressed from small taps to really big ones before she got it. She's a bit of a mule at times.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Using a hill or incline really helps. Hind feet downhill, btw
Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Thanks for your advise. It seems we're heading in the right direction.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM

I'd look at him with someone else holding him. If he is standing on all four squarely and will stand there, that is 90%. If he is aired up and flags, my advice would be: "Don't change a thing."

It is hard for the judges to judge confirmation if he does not stand still. As for parking out, just remember that when you ask him to move his front legs, you are asking him to move. So you may lose the "standing still" that he knows. The rules actually provide that you can be asked to stand the horse on all four legs, not stretched, so the judges can see the horse's "true" conformation. (Never seen it done, however.) Horses tend to put their legs under them where they are most comfortable standing, so that's another reason not to mess with him too much.

Having said all that, I agree with the post above. Standing him on an incline (30 to 40 degrees is good). Let him get comfortable and quiet and then gently (WITH SOFT SHOES) lift his ankle forward. If he resists too much, I'd leave him alone. If he stretches out, at first his front legs will be in front of him, but after a few seconds, he will naturally shift his weight so they are perpendicular to the ground. If you do this for about a week, he'll do the same (more or less) on level ground.

I know I sometimes have a different view of the world, but a yearling that stands still and airs up and looks (by being left alone) is much better than one who fidgets, the handler jerks on him, and then spends 10 to 15 seconds trying to get him to park out. Just about that time the judges have spent all the time they are going to and you haven't let them see how nice your colt is. Just my view.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM

BTW - Jim Aikman put out a really nice video on exactly this - "Winning Ways"? I think? I will have to go check out the videos in my horse library to be exact. The ASB Museum sells them.....
Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to rgandee99
Thumbs up

stand it on a hill side take a crop and gently tap the back legs and it outta stand
Old 09-19-2008, 07:31 PM

I have my gelding parking out for halter but how do you teach them to do it under saddle?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 AM

I was always taught that you have someone stand at his head, like you would in halter classes, with the same cues, and when you are in the saddle, tap his shoulder with your toe while using the same voice commands. It might take a while, but the handler will eventually need less and less contact once your horse learns to make the connection. Although, I'm still working on that one.
Sponsored Links