Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Retired Topics > Special Interest Forums > Competitive Trail/Endurance/Trail Riding - Forum Closed

Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to saddllp
Limited Distance Endurance- Saddlebreds Rule the Trail Again!!!

My husband and I rode our second limited distance endurance ride on Saturday at Crazy Coyote. The ride was categorized as difficult due to the constant increasing elevations and rocky trail in places. Our boys, Hustle Time and Cash (All the Money) were up to the challenge! We got to the starting line just before 630 am. There were some Arabians jigging and one dumped its rider because??????? The ride started and Cash and HT were off! We were trotting down the trail and about two miles in, a woman on an Arabian who was running sideways passed us. We followed for a while but HT passed her. Cash waited behind - it was like trying to pass a drunk driver - do you pass and get hit or hang back and watch the wreck? HT got further ahead - Cash was not happy. HT has the heart of an Arab, the stride of a Thoroughbred in a 17.2hh Saddlebred body. My husband told me on the last ride that if he were to let HT go, he would win - so let him go!!!! Off he was, leaving Cash and I in the DUST! We met up again the the vet check. HT was leaving, I was getting there. We pulsed down quickly and ate some carrots. People asked me if he was a half-Saddlebred..NOOOOO I said! They were shocked and congratulated me for bringing such a big horse. At the finish, I saw HT, who had arrived 20 minutes before us. He had pulsed down. The woman with the "drunk" Arabian was there too. We pulsed down quickly. I asked my husband if he had come in top ten (we were running with the 50 milers so you could not tell if you were in front of the pack or not). He said, "uh, yeah! He came in FIRST PLACE! He not only beat the crazy Arabian, he beat the whole pack. The vet was really impressed with the fact that HT was so big and moved so quickly. I came in third place (21 riders) - which means both HT and Cash were eligible for the Best Condition award. At the awards dinner, the vet said that normally the horses' scores are about the same, but in this case, the Best Conditioned horse's scores were far superior to those of all the other horses.........Go ALL THE MONEY, aka Cash! Best Condition again! So the Saddlebreds took first place and best condition! Why in the world would anyone ride one of those little, nutty Arabians???LOL. That's my job: to change their minds and their breed! Go Saddlebreds!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Go Saddlebreds!

I wish I were competitive enough to try Endurance riding. I have a horse that I've never even had breathing hard. I think he would be great at it. Unfortunately... I would not be, and we're a package deal I think Endurance is such a great sport to promote the ASB in. Congratualtions on your two great rides! I love hearing about them.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM

First Place and Best Condition, BOTH!!?

Your boy is a superstar!

please post a bit about how old, how tall, and how long it took you to condition for this?

Note for all:
Endurance is open to all equine breeds (horses, ponies, and mules) that are 5 years and older.
AERC has set a minimum age limit of 4 for Limited Distance:. anywhere from 25 to 35 miles.
Limited Distance is allowed 6 hours for 25 miles.
Endurance horses must be thoroughly trained and conditioned to meet the demands of the modern endurance competition. Any fit, sound and healthy horse or pony is more than capable of not only completing a ride, but also top-tenning (being among the first ten to cross the finish line and pass the final vetting).
Welfare of the horse is paramount in this sport, and all horses entered must pass a pre-ride examination at the ride site by a licensed veterinarian before they are allowed to start the ride. Horses must also pass additional mandatory vet examinations at specific check-points during the ride, and a final exam within 1 hour after the ride. Any horse showing lameness or failure to meet specified metabolic parameters is immediately eliminated.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Yes, both First Place and Best Condition!

Hustle Time, who took first place is an 11yo gelding by Kings Black Ace. He is my husband's best buddy (aside from me) and we take him everywhere. He is 17.2hh and has a big engine. His problem is that he is the leader in the group so he is more often looking out for monsters rather than eating/drinking at water stops or vet checks so he will never win BC. He is extremely competitive and the only horse I have seen him unable to catch is my OTTB who is a grandson of Secretariat. All the Money, aka Cash, is my 16.3, 12yo gelding by The Silver Lining. He won all kinds of fancy titles as a weanling - Susan brought it up in my last post about our first endurance race - WC weanling 1998???? Anyway, he drops his pulse on a dime and I put rice bran powder in his water with some senior feed at the bottom and he drinks it all to get to the feed, which is why he stays so hydrated and wins BC. He is not fast but so gorgeous that his only problem is that he is a gelding!!!LOL We condition them by riding them every weekend on a long ride with lots of sweat and I ride them a couple of times during the week and I have a college girl who rides all my (9 total) horses. We use a heart rate monitor and I try to keep rates between 120-150 when moving out. It is a fantastic sport, but I realize I probably won't turn any saddleseat or dressage riders on - as they won't get me either. But, the important thing is that these are extremely athletic horses. I feel my job is to turn Arabian owners into Saddlebred owners (dressage people to turn warnblood owners into Saddlebred owners, etc). We just need to have non-traditional horses to sell them - all the low stepping, low headed ASBs!! By the way, our two boys are not 'specially bred', nor do they possess any particular heart factors. They are just regular Saddlebreds and that is ALL you need to have a successful athlete! Lisa

Last edited by saddllp : 05-18-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddllp View Post
......It is a fantastic sport, but I realize I probably won't turn any saddleseat or dressage riders on - as they won't get me either. But, the important thing is that these are extremely athletic horses. I feel my job is to turn Arabian owners into Saddlebred owners........ Lisa
This saddleseat rider would love to extend my trail riding, birddog field trialing, and two-time judged trail riding into longer riding (I might have to get myself into endurance shape, too). My show horse's trainer might not like it if I took off cross-country on the gaited mare (though she might like it). I need a wider circle of friends, friends with extra trail Saddlebreds.
Any more photos? or better, videos?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Oh dear god, I just spewed water at Lisa's statement about low headed.

Um, her horses ain't low headed IN THE LEAST. Altho Cash does have very definite opinions about being a petting horse ...

It is so wonderful to go to Equine Affaire and have incredible ASB ambassadors of multiple disciplines - and better yet, owners who all "get it" and stand around and talk proudly about all of the horses no matter who/what they are ... and oh yeah, we actually *like* each other as well!

Lisa, I am so thrilled for you and Carlos and the kids.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygrl View Post
This saddleseat rider would love to extend my trail riding, birddog field trialing, and two-time judged trail riding into longer riding (I might have to get myself into endurance shape, too). My show horse's trainer might not like it if I took off cross-country on the gaited mare (though she might like it). I need a wider circle of friends, friends with extra trail Saddlebreds.
Any more photos? or better, videos?
I was really lacking this ride in picture-taking..and I own a helmet cam! We have one coming up in Montana de Oro,(6/5) the most beautiful place in SoCal to ride so I'll try to video the ride!!!! If you check out www.aerc.org, the endurance website, you'll see that there are people in your area who would LOVE to mentor you and get you to go on a ride. They do offer intro rides often, which are 15 miles. I know 25 miles sounds long, but it really goes fast. I felt great doing it - today I am feeling more like a freight train hit me! but a hot bath and I am good! P.S. I am not in great shape - just 'barn chore' shape!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attafox View Post
Oh dear god, I just spewed water at Lisa's statement about low headed.

Um, her horses ain't low headed IN THE LEAST. Altho Cash does have very definite opinions about being a petting horse ...

It is so wonderful to go to Equine Affaire and have incredible ASB ambassadors of multiple disciplines - and better yet, owners who all "get it" and stand around and talk proudly about all of the horses no matter who/what they are ... and oh yeah, we actually *like* each other as well!

Lisa, I am so thrilled for you and Carlos and the kids.
Okay, they are not low headed, and Hustle does intimidate his opponents with his loud, high-stepping trot (and always turns to give them a little stink-eye when he passes them...) but if they WERE one of those occasional shorty-neck guys, we would have a place for them on the endurance trail. Even the coarsest Saddlebred is black-tie next to any other breed! When are you and P going to join us on one of these rides? (You're lucky I know how busy you are)
Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Gah! They never tire really amazing for such a large riding horse. Congrats on your wins!

A few weeks ago some friends came over and we rode from my property. This was Echo's first ride in 2 years. I struggled with him the whole way lol. After exclaiming that my finger had a blister, my friend Rick, whom I've ridden with for all of Echo's life said, "You'll never tire that horse out. You'd be dead first."

I've put this horse through some brutal rides, he's never ever quit on me, and has only been truly tired once after an extraordinary 250 mile Pony Express relay race.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM

endurance/trail ASB's

I have a 5 yr.old mare(It's Hammertime x Will Shriver dam) that I was hoping to use in this sport, but alas, she tore a suspensory in a hind leg and is probably only going to be sound for light riding...such a waste as she is so sensible and fun to ride-big trot, big motor + brains + honest....I love reading the posts about you all competing with your Saddlebreds!
Callie
Sponsored Links