Reminder: Opinions expressed in the discussion forum do not necessarily reflect those of the owner or moderators.

Go Back   Trot.org Forums > Topics > Tack & Equipment Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Blankets for saddlebreds

I wasnt sure where to put this. Sorry if its in the wrong spot. It didnt seem to fit in the other sections.

I keep Char on turnout and well blanketed. But I have one problem, every blanket I have seems to have too large of a neck hole. The all end up in a weird spot low by her shoulder. Im wondering what blankets you guys have found that actually fit our wonderful breed well. Ive been looking at the schniders tack ones with the adjustable fit, does anyone use these? What do you think of them. Any reasonably priced suggestions?

I have one that does fit her well, but its not heavy enough for my liking and it is a brand I never heard of and I cant find them anywhere. Its kinda hard to keep a clean blanket on a horse that only has 1.
Billie Rose, my 'real' kid!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM

I bought my blanket about 5 years ago (i think) I can't tell you a whole lot about it but the brand is polar... It fits Memphis well and it fit Captain well (both ASBs) I think it was either 50 or 80... I bought it at a small tack shop that has since closed but the owner used to just order things out of magazines for us... not too expensive either way and I think it works great!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM

You might think me a tad off my rocker but...Pink Equine in the UK makes a high necked turn out that is very well made and the high neck works well (and it appears they discontinued it). I also use the Dover brand of turnout blanket: http://www.doversaddlery.com/riders-...-24415A/cn/64/ and also Lami Cell, the lamicell I get from american livestock supply very reasonably: http://www.americanlivestock.com/pc-...ut-1200-d.aspx . The pink equine ones they cut like 75% off in the spring making them very worthwile to get then. The dover one, nothing can destroy it, exceedingly well made and it stays up high on the neck too.

See the horse in my Avatar? yup...THAT is a rescue!

Last edited by Mona129 : 12-15-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 PM

Louie has a Schneider's Vtek Regulator fitted turnout, 1680D mid-weight that fits him like a glove. I love it, and so does he. It does have the adjustable neck, but I don't need to tighten it on him. I do tighten the neck on my other turnout sheet (a Schneider's New Briton) because it is just a bit big in the neck, but I actually don't like it tightened because it causes the sheet to wrinkle, then water can get in.

We have 2 of the Schneider's Euro midweight turnouts for our TWH's, and they're pretty reasonable, I think around $60, and great quality for the cost. They are nice blankets that fit our narrow chested walking horses well, but they don't stay in place over the hips quite as nicely as Louie's fitted Regulator does.

One brand I'd stay away from for fitting the ASB shoulder is Weatherbeeta- I had a really nice, expensive weatherbeeta blanket that hung down under the breast on my old gelding- far too big in the chest.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM

I just bought Buster the Schneiders New Briton midweight belly band turnout. It also sits a little too far back for my liking and if I adjust the v-fit straps it wrinkles up like Samigator mentions in her post. It was not horribly expensive but if I were to do it again I would get him a high necked blanket. Since it sounds like you are having a similar issue I'd go for the high neck.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 PM

I would suggest both the Schneider's Brand or Radon. The issue I have had with the higher necked blankets is that it wears down the mane on the lower part of the neck and withers. My morgan uses the winter Baker blanket and though it fits him very well in his chest, it does come up rather high and he looses the bottom few inches of his mane every winter
Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM

Thank you guys. I do most of my shopping online and I had no clue what brands work best and which dont. Im gonna go with a high neck. I dont want the princess getting wet from adjustments at the shoulder. It doesnt matter if her mane gets rubbed a little, she doesnt have much to start with, and I dont show her.
I appriciate the help.
Billie Rose, my 'real' kid!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samigator View Post
One brand I'd stay away from for fitting the ASB shoulder is Weatherbeeta- I had a really nice, expensive weatherbeeta blanket that hung down under the breast on my old gelding- far too big in the chest.
Second that. My super expensive Weatherbeeta fit horribly -- big shoulder rubs -- and tore on the first day.

I have Schneider's New Britons, and do have to tighten at the neck. Although it wrinkles, I've never had a moisture problem with it. Also, no rubs anywhere, and I had them on 3 very differently configured ASBs.

I got so fed up with blankets on and off and the poop stains that I let mine go au natural this year. They look like grizzly bears, but are doing well even in single digit temps and my life is SO much easier.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Question

Have any of you used/tried the Schneider's cut back blanket or sheet?

"Horses don't care who you are, what you wear, what your hair looks like . . . all they care about is if you love them ĖĖ and when you do, they return it with unconditional love and days of happiness."
<(__~
<| <|

. See that? It's a grain of salt; take with posts as needed.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Someone on the SBR forum said she had gapping and water run down under her cutback blanket so she didn't recommend them.
Sponsored Links